For more information or to get a quote contact us today
06 Jul Why Police Officers Should Have Individual Liability Insurance
Being a police officer or any kind of law enforcement professional can be extremely stressful. The last thing you need to worry about is whether you have adequate insurance. You might think or even assume that your department can provide insurance or cover legal costs but sometimes your department can’t or won’t cover everything. Whether you work for the police department, sheriff agency, or other public safety organization that enforces the law and protects persons or property, XINSURANCE offers individual liability insurance to protect you.
What Does It Cover?
We provide coverage for bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage caused by a wrongful act while conducting law enforcement activities or operations.
We also have Legal Liability protection that covers the following:
- Immediate cash bail funding
- Instant criminal defense attorney retainer
- Criminal defense attorney coverage
- Compensation while in court
- Civil suit damage protection
According to Nelson Miller, Associate Dean of Western Michigan University’s Cooley Law School, some examples of some claims can be one of the following:
- Excessive-force for allegedly shooting or beating an unarmed suspect when that force was more than necessary to accomplish the lawful restraint objective
- Cruel-and-unusual punishment like an alleged denial of medical treatment for a known serious medical need, excessive restraint or isolation, deprivation of food or other necessities or for other allegedly cruel treatment
- Officers direct their action toward silencing the claimant’s speech or interfering with an assembly, such as in dispersing a public protest or march
Income Interruption Policy
XINSURANCE also has an Income Interruption Policy to protect officers in the event their income is reduced due to a suspension, demotion, or termination. With an increasingly hostile climate and pressure for disciplinary action by police departments, officers should be prepared in the event their pay is disrupted. The Income Interruption Policy will provide officers the difference in income between their base pay and reduced pay up to the policy limit.
How Do Know If I Need Personal Liability Insurance?
Things to ask yourself before considering a personal liability insurance policy:
- Do you have a track record of operating out of scope?
- Does your department offer financial assistance for lawsuits?
- What does your department cover?
If you are unsure about any of these questions, consider a personal liability insurance plan. XINSURANCE offers customized and flexible law enforcement liability insurance to protect you from lawsuits and financial loss.
Being a police officer can have its uncertainties and unexpected events. So why be worried about what might happen after those situations? Do yourself a favor and be worry-free with XINSURANCE’s personal liability insurance.
To learn more, contact us.