For more information or to get a quote contact us today
Wintertime Safety Tips for Businesses
It’s that wonderful time of year and certain businesses are opening their doors once again to spread holiday cheer and offer fun wintertime activities. However, these wintertime-based businesses need to be aware of the increased risks and hazards of plunging temperatures and the changing weather.
Slips, trips, and falls are more likely in icy conditions. People are more likely to suffer from the cold if not adequately protected. And adverse weather can cause a person to be stranded or lost. Such scenarios can lead to a business being found liable and on the wrong end of a lawsuit. To avoid this, wintertime businesses need to ensure they are minimizing exposure to risk. Follow our top wintertime safety tips for businesses.
Wintertime Safety Tips for Businesses
1. Assess and Reduce Slip and Fall Risks
This is one of the most important wintertime safety tips for businesses. Slips and falls are common. If they occur on your business premises, you are likely to be held responsible. Minimize the chances of an accident happening by:
- Regularly clearing snow and ice from walkways and entryways.
- Regularly salting or gritting areas where people walk, including any stairs.
- Placing warning signs where necessary.
- Place absorbent mats in front of entrances and doorways.
2. Check and Maintain Your Utilities
Winter weather can play havoc with your plumbing and electrical systems. Power outages are common, and pipes can burst with no warning. Stay on top of your building maintenance by:
- Checking your plumbing system for leaks or other problems and carry out necessary repairs.
- Checking your electrical system, especially exterior lines and pylons. Assess any trees to see if any could damage the lines during a storm.
- Installing a proper backup system for your IT infrastructure to prevent the loss of data.
3. Have a Sufficient Communication Strategy
Winter weather can often cause telephone lines or the internet to go down for several days. Staff, clients, and customers based outside can be left stranded if they don’t have a way to communicate should a problem arise.
- Install a sufficient communication system that uses multiple channels so that all individuals can be reached easily.
- Use geotargeting to know where everyone is at all times.
4. Provide the Right Protective Gear
Hypothermia is a real risk when carrying out wintertime activities. Providing the right gear to all involved can significantly reduce the risk of this happening:
- Give all staff appropriate clothing and gear to wear while on duty.
- Provide protective clothing to your customers or ensure they bring their own.
- Regularly assess all clothing and gear for rips or breaks. Repair or replace as necessary.
5. Prepare All Vehicles
Vehicles used for business purposes must be set up to cope with cold weather. This includes:
- Getting the vehicle checked and maintained before winter sets in.
- Ensuring the interior heating system works properly.
- Having it fitted with snow chains.
- In case an accident happens, it’s important to keep an emergency pack in the trunk. This should contain warm blankets, a first aid kit, water, and food.
6. Don’t Be Afraid to Cancel Activities
One of the best wintertime safety tips for businesses is not to be afraid to cancel activities for the day. If the weather is particularly adverse or if conditions are very hazardous, the best way to minimize your risk is to call it off and ask your customers to rearrange for another day.
7. Protect Yourself Against Liability
Following our wintertime safety tips for businesses will minimize your risk as much as possible, but it won’t eliminate it. The best way to protect yourself from liability is by taking out liability coverage.
XINSURANCE: Liability Coverage for Winter Activities
When it comes to protecting businesses and individuals from liability lawsuits, XINSURANCE is here to help. Even if you have a claims history or have been denied coverage in the past, we can help you. XINSURANCE is powered by Evolution Insurance Brokers, LC (“EIB”), an excess and surplus lines insurance brokerage. With our unique all-in-one coverage, we can provide comprehensive solutions to liability insurance for winter activities tailor-made for your requirements.
If you’d like to understand more about our liability insurance for winter activities, then get in touch today. You can call us at 877-585-2853 or email us at email@example.com. Our website details everything about our operation, including our broad product line. If you prefer to talk face-to-face, check our website for our office locations and our events calendar. We also offer the opportunity to click for a quote. And you can follow us on your favorite social media platform:
Stay out of trouble this winter with our wintertime safety tips for businesses and full liability protection from XINSURANCE.
Rick Lindsey hails from Salt Lake City, Utah. He began working in the mailroom of his father’s Salt Lake City insurance firm, getting his introduction to the business that became his lifelong career. Lindsey quickly rose through the ranks while working in nearly every imaginable insurance industry job. As an entrepreneur, specialty lines underwriter, claims specialist, risk manager, and a licensed surplus lines broker, Rick Lindsey is highly skilled in all levels of leadership and execution. As he progressed on his career path, Rick discovered an urgent need for insurers willing to write policies for high-risk individuals and businesses. He was frequently frustrated that he could not provide the liability protection these entities desperately needed to safeguard their assets. He also formed the belief that insurance companies acted too quickly to settle frivolous claims. Lindsey decided to try a different approach. He started an insurance company and became the newly formed entity’s CEO. This opportunity has enabled Rick to fill a void in the market and provide a valuable service to businesses, individuals, and insurance agents who write high-risk business. XINSURANCE also specializes in helping individuals and businesses who live a lifestyle or participate in activities that make them difficult for traditional carriers to insure. If you’ve been denied, non-renewed, or canceled coverage, don’t give up quite yet. Chances are XINSURANCE can help.