For more information or to get a quote contact us today
Liability Insurance for Summer Activities
Hiking, boating, ATV tours, and, of course, fireworks—summer is all about enjoying the beautiful weather with friends and family. If you own a business offering tours, equipment rentals, and other services related to summer fun, you need to make sure you have liability insurance for summer activities.
Summer Fun—and Some Associated Risks
Each summer activity comes with its own risks. Though many of these are rare, they can happen, and you need to make sure you have the coverage for legal fees, medical bills, and more should someone file a claim against you after an incident.
- Boat, Canoe, and Kayak Rentals: Canoes and kayaks may capsize; those aboard may hit their heads on a rock or drown. The American Boating Association mentions drowning as the primary cause of death in recreational boating accidents and says there are several contributing factors that lead to death and injury, including alcohol use, inclement weather, excessive speed, operator inattention or inexperience, failure to wear life jackets, and more.
- Pools and Water Parks: Again, drowning is a major concern—it is the leading cause of death for children under the age of four (after birth defects) and the second leading cause for those under age 14. Other risks include slipping on stairs or pool decks, getting injured on a slide, getting kicked or hit by a fellow swimmer, contracting a water-borne illness, and getting injured by pool chemicals.
- Playgrounds: Every year, more than 200,000 children under the age of 14 visit the emergency room because of injuries they sustain on the playground. About 45 percent are very serious: broken bones, internal injuries, concussions, and even amputations. Trash and rusty or broken equipment can increase the risk of an incident.
- ATV and Other Rentals and Tours: Accidents caused by user error or equipment malfunction may result in scrapes and bruises, broken bones, concussions, and death.
- Mountain Biking and Hiking: Falls or bike crashes on a mountain can be devastating, complete with sprained ankles, broken bones, or worse. In high-traffic areas, there is a risk of colliding with other cyclists or vehicles.
- Scenic Chair Lifts and Gondola Rides: With well-maintained equipment, users are generally safe—however, there have been incidents like the one where a boy was left dangling from a ski lift twenty feet in the air. Fortunately, this child was saved, unharmed, but it is possible to slip and fall from a chair lift.
- Golf, Mini Golf, or Disc Golf: Hazards on the course, a poorly maintained course, or faulty equipment may lead to injury.
- Fireworks: In 2017, there were about 12,900 emergency room visits for fireworks-related injuries—about 33 percent of them were children under the age of 15. Fireworks are also responsible for about 18,500 fires every year, resulting in about $43 million in property damage, not to mention injury and death.
You Need Liability Insurance for Summer Activities
If your business includes products and services for activities like the ones listed above, you need to protect yourself against claims and lawsuits. Though you may go years without an incident or a claim, it may only take one to financially devastate your business. Liability insurance is one of the simplest ways to protect yourself, your employees, and your company.
Liability insurance for summer activities, perhaps in combination with commercial property insurance (if you own the building or property), professional, personal, or general liability, is essential. Together, these plans can create the ideal amount of coverage for your needs, depending upon what type of activities you offer, how many people you serve, and how many people you employ. General liability, for example, is great to have in addition to other policies because it can go above and beyond the first policy to help cover medical bills or legal fees in the event of a lawsuit.
How We Can Help
At XINSURANCE, we believe everyone deserves the peace of mind that comes with liability insurance. That’s why we’re happy to work with you to customize a plan to suit your needs. It doesn’t matter what type of summer activities you specialize in. It doesn’t matter how big or small your business is. It doesn’t even matter if you have a history of claims or have been denied coverage by other companies. We’re here for you.
As members of America Outdoors and the World Waterpark Association, we’re passionate about these types of activities and encouraging people to participate. The growth and ongoing success of your business is a part of that.
Whether you run an equipment rental or tour company year-round or specialize in summer events, including fireworks, contact us and get a quote. You can call us any time at 877-585-2853 or send an email to
Authored by Rick J. Lindsey, President, Chairman, and CEO of XINSURANCE
Rick J. Lindsey hails from Salt Lake City, Utah. He began working in the mailroom of his father’s Salt Lake City insurance firm, getting his introduction to the business that became his lifelong career. Rick J. Lindsey quickly rose through the ranks while working in nearly every imaginable insurance industry job. As an entrepreneur, specialty lines underwriter, claims specialist, risk manager, and a licensed surplus lines broker, Rick J. Lindsey is highly skilled in all levels of leadership and execution. As he progressed on his career path, Rick J. Lindsey discovered an urgent need for insurers willing to write policies for high-risk individuals and businesses. He was frequently frustrated that he could not provide the liability protection these entities desperately needed to safeguard their assets. He also formed the belief that insurance companies acted too quickly to settle frivolous claims. Rick J. Lindsey decided to try a different approach. He started an insurance company and became the newly formed entity’s CEO. This opportunity has enabled Rick J. Lindsey to fill a void in the market and provide a valuable service to businesses, individuals, and insurance agents who write high-risk business. XINSURANCE also specializes in helping individuals and businesses who live a lifestyle or participate in activities that make them difficult for traditional carriers to insure. If you’ve been denied, non-renewed, or canceled coverage, don’t give up quite yet. Chances are XINSURANCE can help.