For more information or to get a quote contact us today
Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid if You Are a Gun Owner
There has been an unprecedented increase in gun owners in recent times, the primary reason being the protection of oneself and loved ones. This can be justified by a 2020-Gallup survey, which indicates that 44% of Americans claim to be living in a gun household.
Owning a gun in the United States of America, as per the second amendment in the constitution, is any civilian’s fundamental right. However, this right also requires you to exhibit a great deal of responsibility.
Responsible gun ownership isn’t just a duty to yourself, it also means ensuring the safe use of your gun and avoiding mistakes, which could cost someone their precious life.
Steer Clear of the Following Slip-ups
To aid you in the pursuit of becoming responsible gun owners, listed below are the following top five mistakes that must be preempted.
1. Reckless Handling
Carrying a gun around is a gigantic responsibility, perhaps more than you must have assumed while purchasing one. So, impetuous handling of your gun can undoubtedly be one of the biggest blunders of your life.
Unintentionally putting your finger on the trigger is a big no! As per the United States Concealed Carry Association, trigger finger discipline, to ensure 100% safety, never keep your finger on the trigger, unless you need to.
Also, never aimlessly point your gun anywhere; in the air, at something, or anyone. Keep it pointed towards the ground when you are holding it.
2. Heedlessness Towards Concealed Carry Permit & Liability Insurance
Do not be ignorant of basic laws associated with secretly carrying a gun outside your house. Being a gun owner, you must be aware that if you plan on carrying a concealed gun, you are required to have an authorized license. As it is illegal in several states, to carry a concealed handgun without obtaining its permit.
Using your handgun in self-defense can often lead you to face numerous legal charges such as:
Your weapon can be confiscated
- You may have to give unwanted court appearances
- You may have to face monetary issues such as hiring a defense lawyer.
Therefore, having concealed carry liability insurance will offer you legal security in case you ever find yourself in a self-defense situation.
3. Irresponsibility Towards Security Checks
The deadliest mistake any gun owner can make is to not perform a proper security check on their gun. Forgetting such a crucial point costs the lives of many innocent people, as gun owners simply don’t realize their weapons are fully loaded.
You should train yourself in believing that “your gun is always loaded”. Also, pick up a rigorous habit of checking the chamber of your gun before and after using it.
Apart from this, read the safety manual attentively, learn about disassembling your gun correctly, and also what each essential gun part is.
4. Improper Storage
Leaving your gun unattended in your homes or cars is a serious mistake. Particularly committing such a mistake in the presence of children can have grave repercussions. As per the statistics by Everytown for Gun Safety, almost 350 children unintentionally shoot themselves or someone else.
A myth must be busted here that storing a gun can defy the purpose of owning the gun. In fact, all you need is a smartly built hidden gun safe to conveniently and quickly reach your gun in time of need.
Remember that keeping your weapon away from anyone’s reach, especially from children, would help you avoid any unwanted experience.
5. Lack of Training
The worst possible thing any gun owner can do is to begin using the gun without any prior training. The first thing you must do when you decide to buy a gun is to undergo proper firearm training. Learn to properly load and unload and even holster your weapon before you own a gun.
In case you haven’t really been trained and already own a gun you should seek professional firearms training immediately.
Apart from the initial training, it is advisable to take such classes from time to time, so you are well-informed on the latest gun rules and regulations.
The Bottom Line
Being a sensible gun owner can be easier than you think, all it requires is you to be extra careful in your usual routine. Avoiding the above-mentioned mistakes and abiding by the rules, can help you protect everyone in your surroundings and let you use your weapon fearlessly.
- Gallup, I., 2020. What Percentage of Americans Own Guns?. [online] Gallup.com. Available at: <https://news.gallup.com/poll/264932/percentage-americans-own-guns.aspx> [Accessed 19 August 2021].
- LII / Legal Information Institute. Second Amendment. [online] Available at: <https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/second_amendment#:~:text=The%20Second%20Amendment%20of%20the,regarding%20the%20Amendment’s%20intended%20scope.> [Accessed 19 August 2021].
- Michalowski, K., 2017. Trigger Finger Discipline: The Core of Safety and Accuracy. [online] Usconcealedcarry.com. Available at: <https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/trigger-finger-discipline-core-safety-accuracy/> [Accessed 20 August 2021].
- XINSURANCE. 2021. Concealed Carry Liability Insurance for Gun Owners. [online] Available at: <https://www.xinsurance.com/risk-class/concealed-weapons/> [Accessed 20 August 2021].
- Brady, 2021. Essential Parts of a Handgun That you Absolutely Need to Learn | Gun Made. [online] Gun Made. Available at: <https://www.gunmade.com/parts-of-a-handgun/#Gun_Safety_Disassembly_and_Taking_Care_of_Your_Handgun> [Accessed 20 August 2021].
- Everytown. n.d. Secure Gun Storage | Everytown. [online] Available at: <https://www.everytown.org/solutions/responsible-gun-storage/> [Accessed 20 August 2021].
Authored by Marice Young
Mom, wife, and pro-guns writer. I live in Tolleson, AZ where the crime rate has been higher than almost 99% of American cities. A horrible personal experience made me realize the importance of gun ownership and self-defense.
Authored by Rick J. Lindsey, President, Chairman, and CEO of XINSURANCE
Rick J. Lindsey hails from Salt Lake City, Utah. He began working in the mailroom of his father’s Salt Lake City insurance firm, getting his introduction to the business that became his lifelong career. Rick J. Lindsey quickly rose through the ranks while working in nearly every imaginable insurance industry job. As an entrepreneur, specialty lines underwriter, claims specialist, risk manager, and a licensed surplus lines broker, Rick J. Lindsey is highly skilled in all levels of leadership and execution. As he progressed on his career path, Rick J. Lindsey discovered an urgent need for insurers willing to write policies for high-risk individuals and businesses. He was frequently frustrated that he could not provide the liability protection these entities desperately needed to safeguard their assets. He also formed the belief that insurance companies acted too quickly to settle frivolous claims. Rick J. Lindsey decided to try a different approach. He started an insurance company and became the newly formed entity’s CEO. This opportunity has enabled Rick J. Lindsey to fill a void in the market and provide a valuable service to businesses, individuals, and insurance agents who write high-risk business. XINSURANCE also specializes in helping individuals and businesses who live a lifestyle or participate in activities that make them difficult for traditional carriers to insure. If you’ve been denied, non-renewed, or canceled coverage, don’t give up quite yet. Chances are XINSURANCE can help.